Sunday, January 23, 2011

We got a double yolker!

I collected the eggs yesterday and one of them was our biggest egg yet - it was just over 100g. Huge!
We thought it would probably be a double yolk and it was. So we had scrambled eggs for breakfast.



We've had torrential rain over night, I checked the rain gauge and it said 110mm since yesterday - that's a lot. We were woken up during the night by howling gales and rain. I was worried about the Freds, but when I checked them this morning the big ones were all ok and still munching away. Whew.
My chickens, on the other hand, are absolutely soaked. They will shelter in their lovely house all day when it's raining but at roosting time they will all come out and sleep up the tree. Creatures of silly habit!

It's a cinema day today - off to see The King's Speech with NandS.

12 comments:

  1. My chickens do the same, out in the tree at night in the pouring rain. But at least it's a lot blooming warmer here than there!!

    Double yolkers must be good luck. Get that lottery ticket in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I love when we are surprised with those.
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love getting double yolkers, I got one just the other night too from one of my newer girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny you should say that, Mandy, because I have a sneaking suspicion this is from one of my Light Sussex - and they've just started to lay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think, 'OUCH!' when I get a big one like that! I am too scared to leave Brewster and the girls out at night. I lure them in just before dusk with a handful of grain and lock them in so the foxies can't get them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just awarded you "The Stylish Blogger Award". Hope you don't mind!

    http://luckebabe-reflections.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-blog-has-received-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pure gold aren't they?

    So glad to hear you have had some good rain Laura, you were saying a while back how dry it has been for you. I think we pinched most of NZ's rain this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura, I bet you were not only one surprised with the size of that egg...poor chicken!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow--I feel for the hen that layed that big egg :) That’s amazing. Can’t wait to hear if you liked the King’s Speech :) You sure can’t teach chickens new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:03 pm

    That is one big egg!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That must of hurt...poor chook!

    Looking forward to seeing The King's Speech. Love me some Colin Firth :) *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  12. The King's Speech was utterly brilliant. Colin Firth is amazing in it. I also loved it because there's no special effects or anything like that - just totally amazing acting.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x