Friday, September 02, 2011

The Yellowest Mayonnaise

On my sidebar you'll see a recipe for speedy mayonnaise. It is a great recipe ( stolen from Masterchef Australia) but it has one huge pitfall. It doesn't always work. Even if you do exactly the same thing each time. We decided this wasn't great as it wasted eggs and oil, so we went back to the good old fashioned way of egg yolks, oil, a touch of vinegar, salt and mustard with the loooooong, sloooooow drizzle/mix method, and this does really work, every time.
My wee chookies are doing us proud and laying like they're all having a wee competition between themselves. We can hardly give the eggs away fast enough, so today I've been making a pavlova for a doggy birthday party, tomorrow (it's for the humans!)  with egg whites, and with the yolks I made the yellowest mayonnaise.

I could, however, have used a smaller jar!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love to dip a french fry in that gorgeous sunny mayonnaise. You are so lucky to have fresh eggs at your backdoor. I drive 45 minutes to a farm to buy mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jar is the perfect size for the photo though - and it will always be too big as you enjoy your way through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:39 pm

    I have played around with the masterchef recipe and use 2 eggs and drizzle the oil in stages. Seems to work better. It's a great recipe and I usually make it twice a week for my daughter who is a mayo lover. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:03 pm

    It is gorgeous!! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy.

    I think you should continue to use the large jar......just make more mayonnaise next time to fill it!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x