Monday, July 21, 2014

Scrummy Chocolate Cupcakes with Ganache




I've made these a few times now and they really are delicious if you like chocolate. I'm not a huge fan, but Lloyd likes it.
I have to say, though, I think these are pretty nice.

This recipe  makes 24. I half it and make 12. Also recipe states 3/4 fill cases. I only half fill them as they really expand.

Ingredients
65 g unsweetened cocoa powder
190 g flour
 300 g sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
180 ml warm water
 180 ml buttermilk  (If you don't have buttermilk, get the amount you need in ordinary milk and add lemon juice. Leave for about 10 minutes)
3 Tbls sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions
Preheat oven to 175C. Line 2 cupcake tins with liners and set aside. 

Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to ensure batter is well mixed.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Makes about 2 dozen. 





Simple Chocolate Ganache
170 g Good quality chocolate, shaved or chopped into small pieces
160 ml cream
1 tsp corn syrup ( I used golden syrup)

Place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.

Heat the cream and corn syrup on the stove until simmering, then pour over the chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes and stir gently to combine. 

Assembly

Spoon warm ganache over cooled cupcakes and top with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios and royal icing roses, if desired. And yes, I made the roses!






6 comments:

  1. They look very delicious and pretty with those little roses:) My kids love chocolate, so I might try your recipe soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMO!!! I swear I put on weight every time you post pictures of your baking. Lucky you are a good 6 hours drive away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to bake something today, with chocolate....I bought some choc button thingies as I saw a millionaire shortbread recipe in me Granny cookbook :D Your cupcakes always look so lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrummy is the word! Just looking at them right now makes me want to eat them. You are cruel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and as our whole family absolutely loves chocolate we definitely have to have a go at these ones. :)

    Take care Laura and hope the water has started to dry up.

    Charlie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kym Jones11:19 pm

    I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first time commenting on your blog. I enjoy reading all your posts as I grew up in Kohu Kohu, but moved to Auckland when I was in high school and now live in Australia. If I ever feel homesick, I head straight to here :) and I just want to say, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x