Sunday, March 27, 2011

Any mushroom experts out there?

I so wish I knew what these are and if they're edible. We've had a couple of days of wet, incredibly humid weather and these have popped up all over the place, beautiful, immaculate mushrooms!
I've looked at photos on the internet and these could well be anything from one you can eat to 'death caps' ! We may do a spore print - if we can learn how to do one!
Sadly, unless an expert rocks up at the gate today, these will just have to remain uneaten.




16 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been tempted to eat mt garden ones too but I think for safety, I'll stick to the ones growing under my kitchen sink. Maybe take them to a pharmacy? That's what we used to do when I was growing up - pick them in the forest (England) and take them to a chemist to identify for us. Yours look so ethereal and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! For safety sake we're not eating them - they don't look that edible to me really - but I know NOTHING!! I've seen kits in garden centres so it might be quite fun to grow some I know we can eat.
    I like the idea of taking them to a pharmacy - I just don't know if our teeny town one would have the expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura ask seedling. I seem to recall she did a mushroom workshop or course of some kind last year, while believe it focussed on her local area she is the only one who comes to mind with a broad mushroom knowledge IYKWIM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tammy, I'll post the pics now - fab idea! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck.

    I love mushrooms but confess I'm a big chicken. When considering the scale between "sauteed in butter and certain death" I always cave and can't risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha Kymberly - totally agree, certain death loses out every time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took a whole lot of pictures in the autumn (posted them on the blog) on mushrooms as saw a great exhibition at the botanics. Having seen that exhibition, I would never eat any mushroom unless I was with an expert for all the obvious reasons.

    Thanks on the compliment on my post At the end of the Rainbow, really glad you liked it. Big hugs and kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.oureverydayearth.com/lawn-mushrooms-oh-no/

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the pictures, they look like death angel mushrooms to me. While they may be something else (a lot of mushrooms look identical in pictures), I would never, ever risk it unless you have an expert IN PERSON confirm that yes, you have edible mushrooms.
    Even mushroom hunting for years, the only ones I will eat without verifying with an expert first are chanterelles, morelles, and hedgehogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I just knew they would have death in the title!! Why couldn't we have chantarelles! I know what they look like.
    thanks so much - we weren't going to ever eat them but it's good to know what they are - pretty much :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since they're so beautiful, they must be deadly. Isn't that how it works in the movies? The beautiful girl is the one with murder in her heart? LOL, I'll buy mine at the grocers and pick out the ugly ones!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so feel your unidentified mushroom pain. At the very least, they make BEAUTIFUL photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura
    My husband went to pick some mushrooms (which unfortunately weren't all that good due to woodlice eating them underneath) he came across the same fungi as yours and erred on the side of caution even though they looked really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the photos of these curious mushrooms are certainly beautiful. They remind me of something in a fairy tale. Did you check for any little Hobbits living under them?:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read a little article in Maclean's once about a amateur mycologist who recognized, picked, and ate mushrooms from the wild for 20 years before miscalculating one single time and dying. :( I figured that if she could get it wrong with 20 years of experience I wasn't going to eat any that I didn't grow myself or buy at the co-op. But, I don't absolutely love mushrooms either so the temptation is probably less.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has always made me crazy to just walk by beautiful mushrooms that would make a magnificent saute. But that is just what I do. I don't want the saute to be my last meal! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x