Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spanish Tapas

Tapas can vary a wee bit from area to area of Spain. Up in the north, in the basque country, there is one called Chakka - I don't know if this is how you spell it,  I have searched and searched the web for it but can't find anything -  I know it exists cos I ate it there and one of my very, bestest friends is from the Basque country and she taught me how to make it.  It is the most simple thing ever but it is absolutely gorgeous!
All you need are some eggs - we use 6  - and you hard boil them.  You roughly chop them up in a bowl, then you add about 200g of chopped up surimi (crab sticks!) which are basically pollock. Mix them together with a good dollop of mayonnaise.

You can put it on crackers. but traditionally it would be on some bread. We have this a lot during summer as lunch.

I know it sounds like it would be nothing special, but just give it a go!


This is the consistency you're looking for

Lunch - yum!

And what with home grown eggs, home made mayo and some surimi ( which is very cheap!) we can feed 4 people for about $2!

ETA
Lloyd just found it - it would seem that it's called chaTka. But that may just be a word that some people use for crabsticks! The mystery continues...

4 comments:

  1. You can't beat home grown and homemade!!

    Looks lovely.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like something I'd try definitely :) Happy belated birthday btw, looks like you had a fabulous time - my family are full of yachty types, your pictures made me miss the sea, in a nice way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh that does look good! But I've just put all of today's and yesterday's eggs into brownies and pumpkin pie. Bum! Have to wait til later in the week. Abby will be on camp and hopefully Julian will work late one night and I shall have it for dinner all by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have plenty of eggs and some mayo, now I'm off to buy crabsticks. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x