Friday, June 15, 2012

Scottish tablet

Following on from a facebook conversation yesterday, I decided to make some Tablet today. For a first attempt it came out not bad. It's not right, it's a bit too grainy for my liking, but supposedly it can take years to perfect. It's so sweet I don't think I'll need to make more any time soon!

There are slight variations on recipes but the standard is

1kg white sugar
1 ( aprox 400g) tin of condensed milk
100g unslated butter
 milk

Some recipes use a lot of water some will use more milk.

I won't type out what I did because I don't actually think it was really right, however,  I found THIS RECIPE while searching and I think she explains it so well. The recipe I followed was almost this, but not quite.  When I make it again (probably in about 10 years once we've recovered from this sugar rush  - I'm sure I can feel a migraine coming on!!) I'll do it her way.
 I just have no clue how we're going to manage to eat it all.
 I wonder how long it lasts?

Here it is simmering away.


And the colour change. The far right is the totally uncooked mixture. I actually did did four tests in total. You can see the mixture gets darker the longer it's cooked.

 And the finished article
 All I can say is thank goodness I'm married to a dentist! You can feel your teeth rotting just looking at it!

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 pm

    looks lovely , rotten teath and calories but who cares the taste is worth it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on a par with Candy Floss, so lovely to eat and yet soooooo bad for you.

    Enjoy.....sparingly!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE candy floss! You can buy it in bags over here! We have the container sitting right in front of us now and I've eaten 2 bits - lloyd has eaten about 6!!

      Delete
  3. I remember eating this at my friend Lesleys house when we were growing up....her family were Scottish...I had never heard of it before I ate it at her house....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we grew up with it - at all the school fetes. Im amazed I have any teeth left!

      Delete
  4. Laura's Mum9:56 pm

    I should have read your recipe before I went on facebook.
    Sometimes my mum's toffee was just a wee bit grainy but as long as it sets that doesn't really matter -- it's just a question of taste --
    and it always tasted fantastic!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look tasty...have you ever heard of Burfi, from India....I swear this is Scottish Burfi lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it but when I saw your comment I googled it - I bet I would LOVE that! I'm a big fan of Indian sweets - Glasgow has a huge Indian population so we were lucky enough to have a lot of Indian shops - we made good use of them!

      Delete
    2. It takes a while to make but I do have a "cheats" recipe lol

      Delete
    3. is it one that you can do in the microwave? When I was looking it up I found one that sounded quite simple - in the microwave!

      Delete
  6. This reminds me of an Indian Candy or treat called Almond Burphi, my friend from India made it for me and I have made it once myself. It is delicious but extremely sweet. I loved the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny as a couple of you have mentioned this now!! I mist try to get some :)

      Delete
  7. It lasts less than 24h in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only eaten a few bits - that's all I can cope with - I dont have a massively sweet tooth - Lloyd does though :)

      Delete
  8. I tasted this just about 6 months ago and it was super delicious...have not been able to get it since :) I liked the graininess.. thought it was how its supposed to be. Enjoy! Maybe you can post it easily...lol. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it took a right hammering last night while we were watching the rugby - it was so tense we were just stuffing it down without even realising it!!

      Delete
  9. I told my husband about this and he said "Well?!?! Where's mine!?" haha! I will NOT be making this! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw go on! As a special treat for him :) We're still ploughing through ours - even with the rugby scoff fest!

      Delete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x