Saturday, December 22, 2012

It's feta making time again!

I made some feta yesterday.
I've made this numerous times before, but hadn't for a while as the last batch I made was gigantic and lasted ages in oil. We've only just finished it.

Here's the links to the recipes and previous feta making

Feta recipe

Brining the feta

Bottling feta in oil

This time I didn't have any milk straight from the cow, so I had to make do with supermarket milk. I got 4 l of full fat milk. Then I just scaled the recipe down a smidge. It worked perfectly. I'm also doing the air drying again as it worked so well last time. At the moment the feta is sitting out on the worktop, under a food cover. I'll leave it there until at least tomorrow, maybe longer.

These pots are not specifically for cheese making but they are absolutely perfect for feta. They have a little hook on the side so you can hang  them on the pot for draining purposes. When it's time for brining I just take them out of the wee baskets, put them in the pot with some brine and then put the lid on. They might even all fit in one pot  - less room taken up in the fridge!


Obviously we won't have this for Christmas! But when it's ready I'm sure it'll be as lovely as ever.

8 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to them being ready!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks fantastic and I bet it's soooooo tasty.

    I'm about a third of the way through Lloyd's book on my Kindle at the moment. Brilliant reading :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just brined it this morning - looking good!! thanks also for buying lloyds book!! xx

      Delete
    2. You really don't have to thank me......it's brilliant, the best read I've had for ages.

      Sue xx

      Delete
    3. really! I'll tell him, he'll be so happy! xx

      Delete
  3. Clever you making Feta. My favourite cheese. Might have to check out your recipe and give it a go. Love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you, Sue - but honest it's pretty easy!
      Did you buy one of Lloyds books?? If you did - thank you so much - you shiny star!!

      Delete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x