Thursday, December 13, 2012

Our First Tomato

Well, our first 2 tomatoes! Even though one of them is rather small.

The veggie garden is absolutely thriving this year, but it's still early for my tomatoes, so I'm really pleased to have these two.  They're 'bloody butchers', one I haven't grown before and I have to say, that even though they are the only tomatoes ready, by a mile, the plant is and has always been peaky - I bought a second one, and it's exactly the same, so we shall see how they go. The greenhouse tomatoes and chillies are also growing like the clappers.

Anyway, tonight I am going to use up these 2 wee tomatoes and make Jamie Oliver's tomato coriander salsa to go with some hot smoked salmon. Yummy summer dinner.


Jamie's Tomato Coriander Salsa
(I've adapted the recipe for 2 people)

3 spring onions finely chopped
a teeny tiny amount of chopped chilli ( or loads depending on taste!) 
lots of fresh coriander leaves
a bunch of fresh mint
the tomatoes
juice of 1/4 lemon
juice of half a lime
salt and pepper

and with the exception of the salt and pepper absolutely EVERYTHING has come from the garden. Even the avocado I've added cos I love them!
Now, this makes me happy.


7 comments:

  1. how satisfying... how delish! our herb/veg patch needs some loving... waging a war against the snails at the moment (even though I actually love snails) they seem to get to everything before we do and baits are just not on the cards - we''ve had a lot of late rain this summer which has only made the issue more prevalent... still i did manage to source some horseradish... mmmm now to make something yummy... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feed the snails to my chickens! I feel a bit bad but then we get the benefit of them :) cos the chooks eat them and make nice eggs for us!
      We've actually had a long dry spell so I've had tp put the irrigation on most nights.
      Let me know how you get on with your horseradish - I planted some eons ago, but it died :(

      Delete
  2. Penny Duthie10:09 pm

    Love your garden at this time of the year - Queensland is quite a different story!! Just wondered, a year ago (or more?) you had a book done up with all your photos as a gift - can you send me any links/contacts if you remember that is?? Thanks
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, I have a Mac laptop, and it comes with iphoto which has the option of making a book.
      It was very straightforward.
      If you don't have a mac, I think there are a lot of places online that will do the same thing.

      Delete
  3. Penny Duthie12:03 pm

    Thanks Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, in the midst of snowy winter, just swooned. Over a tomato. : ) 10 years ago I would have laughed at such a things as swooning over produce. But, now...I swoon. That is always so exciting, each and every year. Things renewing and growing and producing. Lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x