Sunday, August 21, 2011

Best day.

We were lucky enough to go out on "TB" today and had the most spectacular time. Good friends, good food, amazing weather, calm seas and to make it even more perfect, a dive thrown in!
We organised our lovely neighbour to come in and let the dogs out, he also played with them so much that they are all totally crashed out.
We left in the morning and drove to Whangaroa - which is a stunning harbour and tiny village. We lugged all our provisions and my super heavy dive kit down to the boat and set off with perfect blue skies above us.

Nick and Dan

We cruised out to the Cavalli Islands and once we got there Dan and I went in for a dive while everyone else lazed around in the sun and most likely had a glass of wine!
The dive was absolutely stunning. Lots of wee crevices, lovely underwater landscape, lots of Moray eels, stingrays and huge shoals of fish swimming around us. Magical.

Doing our buddy check


I've dived a lot, I learned in Scotland more years ago than I care to admit, and have done 100's of dives but this was my first dive in a couple of years and I was using some new kit, so I was a little nervous. I needn't have worried, Dan was the perfect dive buddy and I loved my new kit instantly.

I need to explain this photo - on the boat there is a hot shower at the back - this is the height of luxury! Dan was so cold he stuck the shower down into his wetsuit to warm up!


After the dive we had a great lunch and chatted on the deck in the sun. Today was so lovely and perfect I had to pinch myself!



 The Cavallis

 Danny

 Sara

 Dan

Lloyd and Nick!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like the best fun. What a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. weeeeheeee! How fun Laura, you are so adventurous, I feel like a boring old couch potato here! I must try a little harder to adventure my life up a little... gorgeous photos, a little different from the snow we've been hearing about over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day. Great friends, Great food, good weather and spectacular scenery.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are very brave diving, its one thing that I could never try...the scenery in those photos is just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sunshine and water makes me miss Northland! Glad you had such a lovely day!
    xoxo
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:25 pm

    It looks absolutely gorgeous there. You are very brave to dive - I am not a fan of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny as when we got back on the boat after the dive people were saying it's really brave, but I love the water and I love being under it! It's just so amazing. You get such a high as well, I was buzzing for the rest of the day.
    Ali, most of NZ is/was having snow but we're way up at the top in the sub-tropical bit so while they were all ski-ing, we were diving, in the sun!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x