Anyway, this year, I have finally managed to grow not one, but four! Four!
Only one of them was ready to be peeled. It was the first one to grow on the vine, so a couple of weeks ago I picked it and took it inside to dry. The other three are now drying out as well. I picked them off the vine this morning, I was worried it was getting a bit wet and dewy and that they may rot. I've hung them in the
BUT! here's the one I peeled, got the seeds out and cleaned. It may not be the biggest luffah in the world, but it's my luffah. Can you tell I'm thrilled?
And another plus point is that I now have lots of seeds to plant!
These ones are off to dry out.
Here's what you do ~
wait until the luffa has dried out. I saw lots of pictures of ones where the skin had gone totally brown and crispy. I did my first one when it was still a yellowy green colour. I picked a tiny bit off to see what it looked like, then decided to go for it! the skin came off very easily. The luffah wasn't dry, so I left it overnight in the wee cupboard beside our range. It was nice and cosy. In the morning I shook out as many seeds as I could. It took a while. Then I washed it, in only slightly, warm water. After that I soaked it for about an hour in a very, very mild bleach solution. Then left it on the outside table to dry again. And voilá!
Hopefully the other three turn out as well.
Suggestions for what to do with it!