Firstly you do not need one of the wooden pot maker thingmies, but this is how I learned. Once you know how it's easy and you can use bottles, jam jars, anything cylindrical that's the size you want the pot to be.
1. Start with a newspaper supplement - it's just the right size.
2. For small pots half the page down the natural fold, then half it again.
3. Fold the paper in half lengthways.
making sure the side with the fold is at the bottom.
4. Fold up a corner
5. Roll the paper round the wood, making sure the folded side it at the top. Start at the end without the folded up corner. Make sure the folded corner ends up on the inside.
6. Fold in the bottom part - a bit like wrapping a present
7. Ram into the pot part to squish the ends down.
To make a bigger pot I got a bottle. This is a Barkers juice bottle and it's the perfect size to use half a page of a supplement.
Fold in half and fold up a corner as above.
Roll the paper round the bottle the same way as before
fold in the bottom and just tap it against a table or something!
Apologies for terrible photographs - it was getting dark and the light was bad!